Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dynafit TLT Boot review



After a week of use, I am a true believer!

Last year before I headed to the Alps, Jan in the Mountaineer told me that these were killer boots. (He had two stipulations, first could you get a good fit, and second could you afford the $1,400 price tag.) Well, when I was in Chamonix I started noticing that a bunch of the hard-core types were outfitted with these white and red boots. Then on my return home last Spring, I started to see all sorts of trip reports on various blogs, where guys were climbing big north faces in these boots. Then Dane came out with a two part rave review in Cold Thistle ... my desire was unbounded.

Fast forward to this winter, and Dynafit has expanded the line, to include a white and yellow "performance" ($1000) model, and a green and white "mountain" ($750) model. The latter is a tiny bit heavier but the sticker price was still a deal breaker. So, I started trolling eBay and various discount suppliers and final nailed one at $450.

Last Saturday I did a two hour ski tour, Monday I ice climbed with them, Tuesday I did a bit of rock climbing in them, and this afternoon I spent three hours riding the lifts at Whiteface. They are superb.