Thursday, May 3, 2012

Blast From The Past ... Nike circa 1976

I have been trying to get my Nordic racers to do a bit of running this Spring. (Hard to manage as the weather has been crap, there are too many things going on at school, and of course, hiking is more fun.) They get bored easily and so I mix things up, and yesterday we went down to the Lake Placid track and did some timed runs: 100 meter, 400 meter, and 1200 meter.

It has been ages since I have done any running, this from someone who used to run a lot from 5k to ultras, and there was even one period in my life when I averaged 60-90 miles a week.

Anyway, I have now used my rowing machine to watch three movies about running in the late 1960s and 1970s: WITHOUT LIMITS, PREFONTAINE, and FIRE ON THE TRACK. I am also reading am excellent novel about a serous runner, with a mid-life crisis returning to his sport (AGAIN TO CARTHAGE).

Finally, I bumped into this original Nike ad, which came out just as I put down the lacrosse stick and started to lace up training flats and EBs. At this point in my life, I am not sure running is ever going to be a big part of my "training routine" but it has brought back some great memories.