Saturday, July 27, 2013

They handicap the Dipsea ... Do I deserve a handicap?

I observed that the top ten female runners (in the 20+ age group), where on average about 14:20 faster than the comparable male finishers in the 60+ age class. Added to that, Cali lives in Squaw Valley and I am coming from sea level, she is likely to be on the podium while I am likely a back of the lack finisher. I THINK SHE NEEDS TO SPOT ME 17 MINUTES IN A HEAD-TO-HEAD COMPETITION. Another way to look at it is that a 17 minute handicap is approximately 30 seconds per mile per age difference ... doesn't that seem fair? Now the harder question would be how to handicap a Hock v. Mark, or a Hock v. Liz, or even a Hock v. Danny event? Of course, I have to be sensitive to conversations around handicaps, seeing that I won the Owens River Gorge handicap event two years running ... and was roundly criticized for gaming the system!
>