Tuesday, October 8, 2013

BLAST FROM THE PAST ... joe tasker and tobin sorenson

In the late 1970s I was on a leave of absence from my teaching job, and had spent the summer in Scotland and the Alps, the Fall in Yosemite with Ewing, and the winter caretaking the Harvard Cabin in Huntington Ravine. During some of those cold and lonely nights when the cabin was empty, I corresponded with both guys (Sorenson and Tasker), to get information about routes that I hoped to do in the coming years ... A winter ascent of the North Face of the Matterhorn and the East Face of Dunagiri ... I remembered that of the former Tobin said "pretty casual if you can solo snow covered 5.7," and of the latter Joe said, "you better have bloody big calves to do that ice route at altitude."

Recently while going through some old boxes, I tried to put my hands on those letters, but unfortunately I have had no luck yet. Sadly, both guys perished a few years later, and of course, I never did use their wise counsel to get up either route.