Tuesday, August 15, 2017

For all my climbing partners who have joked about my fruitcake ...

No doubt, if you have gone on an expedition with me, or any climbing trip of more than a week's duration with me, you have shared - often grudgingly - in my love of fruitcake.  Originally, as a child I sampled fruitcake from relatives, and then my mom continued that tradition, and now my sisters send it along at Christmas time. 

The fruitcake story continues as in late 1970s my girlfriend and I made 30 pounds of fruitcake for my first trip to Denali. (Of course any gathering of the fossil clan is not complete without the re-telling of my eating all of the fruitcake after it was spoiled by spilled white gas.) Then of course, there was the moment as Mike Brochu, Michael Franklin, and I topped out on the Black Dike and Franklin just ate a hunk of fruitcake, wrapper and all.

So, read this ode to fruitcake, from one of the most famous expedition adventures ever!