Thursday, April 12, 2018

Quote of the week ... Arthur C. Clarke

From the Forward to the novel, 2001: A Space Odyssey: "But the barriers of distance are crumbling; one day we shall meet our equals, or our masters, among the stars."

I was a space geek enchanted with Sputnik, Project Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo. This led me to consume sci-fi novels, and eventually to pay far too much money to see Stanley Kubrick's, 2001: A Space Odyssey, the first weekend it opened for a limited run in one theater in Manhattan.  I probably remember that showing more vividly than anything else that happened that year ... assassinations of MLK and RFK, Chicago riots, Nixon's election, and my lacrosse team making it to the North Shore Finals.   This is the year of the 50th anniversary, and no doubt when it is reissued in May I will see it again. (Just as I am now re-reading the novel.)