Saturday, September 1, 2012

Kukuczka ... steep edge video

As an aging alpinist that followed every move in the "race to get all the 8000 meter" peaks, I enjoyed this movie thoroughly, but eventually came away disappointed. To listen to Messner, Diemberger, and Carsolio talk about the Himalayas in the 1980s was riveting. On the other hand, what I longed for - but did not get - were the technical details of Jerzy's climbs, the things that really set him apart in this historically important time. He was a brilliant alpinist, who pushed the limits beyond the very high bar that Messner had set, and I wanted to hear more about that. I also wanted to hear more about his last climb on Lhotse ... Perhaps in a sequel video! As an aside, author Bernadette McDonald, who recently wrote FREEDOM CLIMBERS, was exceptional and I am rushing out to get a copy of her book. CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE TRAILER.