Monday, April 21, 2014

The Brooks Range and a blast from the past

The World Beyond the World from Paxson Woelber on Vimeo.

In 1974 I graduated from college and was beginning to become fanatical about mountaineering. I worked on Martha's Vineyard for a summer as a cop (that's another story), and then scrimped and saved to do my first big mountain trip that Fall. So, having digested much of Bob Marshall's writings (quoted in this video) the three of us, and two dogs, packed into a Pinto and set out to drive to the Brooks Range. Needless to say, after tuning up in the North Cascades, we found that the potholes on the highway to Alaska were bigger than our car, so we bailed and spent four months climbing in the Canadian  Rockies ... Unfirtunately for me The Brooks Range will have to wait until my next reincarnation, although it is certainly nice to see video footage.