Friday, November 9, 2018

Mohonk Mountain House

For the past twenty years I have had the luxury of a yearly stay at this wonderful and fashionable hotel on a 2000 acre nature preserve in the Shawangunks. Last night Selden and I enjoyed, what I am sure, will be our last stay at this charming, old world resort. Mohonk is the site for the yearly NYSAIS head of school retreat ... they always have fabulous speakers. Obviously, there are many things I will miss about being headmaster, but a yearly stay at Mohonk, and a yearly ski reunion at Alta will be near the top of the list.

Of course, the gunks are where I learned to rock climb. In my retirement I envision spending a week in the spring and fall, camping out, running the trails in the morning, and bouldering in the afternoon. So, You old fossils get ready to dig your gear out for some easy climbs ... Northern Pillar and Horseman here we come.

I took these pictures this morning on a delightful run, over and around Eagle Hill Cliff.