Saturday, September 21, 2019

The John Muir Trail, the FKT, and the new FFFKT

I fell in love with Jenn Shelton the hard living, hard driving ultra-runner, at the same time everyone else did, on my first reading of BORN TO RUN.  I have read much of her arcane, rambling, irreverent, and sometimes zen like prose, ever since then. 

Her notion in this essay of making the women's FKT more relevant is an interesting one. I believe her moniker FFFKT - fish fourteener fastest known time - could be expanded in multiple and important ways.  For instance, thinking about my over the hill, Medicare, baby boomer buddies shouldn't there be a Fossil Fourteener Fastest Known Time?  This FFFKT would be a somewhat speedy time for geriatrics who climb a fourteener in each of Roper's five guidebook sections. 

I am sure you will think of others, as Jenn stumbles through the John Muir Trail in this essay, first printed in a 2019 Patagonia catalogue.  Who knows, maybe when I am doing my different FFFKT from north to south, we will share a campsite together on her next attempt at her record.