Friday, May 1, 2020

Ending the 2019-20 training season and beginning 2020-21

As an ex-nordic racer and biathlete, I use the accepted training year format, from May 1st to April 30th. And so, my last workout of the just concluded training year, was the three kilometer uphill time trial pictured below. Over the next 3-4 months as I build muscular endurance for a Sierra climbing trip, I will gradually increase the length, vertical, and pack weight of that weekly time trial.

As for the recently completed training year, given that I retired on July 1, 2019 as you can imagine, my training has increased quite a bit. Specifically what does that mean?

Start by looking at my two key training variables ... the yearly accumulated total of training hours, and the aggregate yearly vertical gained during those activities. In the past five years my total training volume has fluctuated between 375-425 hours; this year the volume was 636 hours. During that same period I usually gained between 100-125,000 vertical feet; this year accumulated vertical gain was a touch under 220,000 vertical feet. Other things I track are days on snow (115), days doing some climbing (27), strength workouts (55), flexibility sessions (156), and the various specific aerobic activities from ergometer to running, nordic skiing to hiking, paddling, and cycling.

As for the coming 2020-21 goals; less running and more climbing and cycling. More strength workouts. Less classic skiing and more skating. More downhill skiing. Specifically, I have the following objectives:

- run another long trail race (25-50k)
- ski the 160k Canadian Ski Marathon
- complete the 40 mile Grand Traverse ski mountaineering race
- climb a couple of easy Sierra alpine routes (i.e. North Ridge Conness)
- climb some Huntington Ravine ice routes
- ski Tuckermans Ravine