Saturday, January 30, 2010

Last Training Weekend


This is the last chance for my students to get some mileage under their belts for next weekend's 25K loppet. The temperature is currently -21 degrees, and everyone is doing a waxing clinic until it warms up and then we will ski a 15K workout. I am a little concerned as this is the youngest group I have ever taken to this race. (Including my daughter Lucy who at 12 is theyoungest in the group of four student skiers.)

I have enclosed an image of the famous oil painting depicting the two burly birkebeiner dudes as they ski Prince Hakon to safety over the mountain in 1206 A.D. All "loppets" and long distance ski marathons take their inspiration from the grand-daddy of them all, the 55K Norwegian Birkebeiner held in March. To this day, each of the 15,000 participants must ski with 12 pound pack which symbolizes the infant prince.