Saturday, June 18, 2011

Light Is Right



I am hoping to get to the East side of the Sierras in late August after a business trip to the Bay Area. Imagining that maybe Mark's knee will have healed, or that Danny will be available, I wondered how light my pack MIGHT be for a classic day trip like Matthes Crest. And so this morning I packed two day packs, one conventional and the other with the super light gear I have been slowly acquiring ... an impressive ten pound difference! Where did the difference come from? The 11 oz pack pictured, a wind jacket/pant combo that was 6 oz, a 9.2 mm instead of my standard 10 mm rope, a CAMP helmet that was 6 oz, a CAMP ski rando harness (4 oz) instead of a standard BD rig, gu instead of the traditional lunch of cheese-salami-orange, and one water bottle/iodine tablets instead of two quarts of water. Finally, I left the rock shoes out of the super light pack figuring I could climb the route in my SPORTIVA approach shoes.