Tuesday, September 13, 2011

ANOTHER BLAST FROM THE PAST ... jonathan waterman



I am re-reading Jonathan Waterman's IN THE SHADOW OF DENALI.  Jon and I did a lot of climbing together in the late 1970s and early 1980s.  He helped get me a job at COBS, we ice climbed extensively in the White Mountains and Kathadin, talked about climbing the Cassin Ridge in Winter (which he did), did some winter climbs in Chamonix, and as the humorous passage below reveals, did a bit of ice climbing in Scotland with John Thackray and Jim Balog.

"Once in a Scottish pub called the Clachaig Inn, John suggested I order an unfamiliar-sounding drink to impress the mob of Scottish climbers ... I self-consciously elbowed up to the noisy bar ... Shouted out ky order for a 'half pint of shandy' - I did not know that this was a concoction of lemonade and beer, widely considered a child's drink - and asked politely, 'Do you have any cold ones?' ... Suddenly a hush fell over the bar ... The bartender threw down his dishrag, smiled knowingly, and paused for effect before he spoke. 'And would you like a white staw in it, too?' From across the pub, Thackray's titter started a cacophony of laughter."