Friday, June 8, 2012

Blast From The Past ... LeConte Memorial Boulder

This picture of some climbers sitting out the rain brought back fond memories ... In the mid to late 1970s I had several extended stays in The Valley with Mark. The first came in the Fall after we had met and climbed together briefly in Chamonix. I was climbing with Richard Wilmott from South Africa. Mark eventually did a Grade VI on the North Face of Half Dome, Richard and I did a Grade V on Middle Cathedral. The next excursion was a few years later with Michael Franklin, when we had an ill-fated attempt on Washington Column. A few years after that Mark and I were again on the South Face of the Column, all was cruisy, we had just about finished all the aid climbing and we bailed, because as I had talked him into going back to Denali, and he only had two weeks before he had to teach a course at Sierra College.

In all these cases, because I am hopeless with mechanical devices, I spent hours and hours, doing countless laps on the bolt ladder on this boulder ... Hauling from a hanging stance, jumaring, stepping up into the top step of the etrier ... I learned it all here!

Before I hang up the rack, I am still hoping to do the West Face of Leaning Tower, and no doubt I will be back at LeConte Memorial Boulder to freshen up my technique.