Friday, August 5, 2022

Are you longing for ski season?

Tomorrow I will be running up Stratton Mountain, trying to see how long I can keep USST members Gus Schumacher, Jessie Diggins, Julia Kern in my sights. I am guessing that within 3-4 minutes they will be out of my sight! Hopefully, I will get an autograph or two at the awards ceremony. 

I have been reading Lowell Skoog's book - Written In The Snows - the definitive history of skiing in the cascades. It mentioned that the Olympic gold medalist skater's first movie was Thin Ice (1937 picture below), and the ski scenes were filmed by Otto Lang at Mount Rainier.  A musical comedy, which along with Sun Valley Serenade did much to expose Americans to the sport of skiing. 

And so, after tomorrow's race, Jessie and Julia are off to Australia for three weeks of on-snow training, while many of the other American nordic team members are off to the ski tunnels in Europe, as well as participating in the big summer rollerski races. 

I will go back to running laps on the new competition trails at Mount Van Hoevenberg and reading Skoog's book, while I  keep my fingers crossed for October skiing on the Whiteface toll road.