Sunday, March 5, 2023

Lyndon Outing Club Uphill Bonanza

Well, it's a great event, but I had a somewhat disappointing performance. The hill has just over 400' vertical, and you get six hours to record as many laps as you can. I drove over on Friday evening to Lyndonville and slept in the Hockmobile, at the race site.

My fitness level was good; the uphill track was reasonable with two short steep sections; the downhill was fairly challenging, especially navigating over a foot of new, heavy, wet, ungroomed snow on skimo race skis.

I took a spill on the second lap and tweaked my lower back. As the day progressed, the pain increased (as did consumption of ibuprophen). At the end of my ninth lap - at the three hour mark - I threw in the towel, thinking that as fatigue set in I might take an additional fall or two, which could aggravate the lower back.

Still, it was a great workout, good people, and a well run event to fundraise for the community outdoor center.