Friday, August 15, 2014

QUOTE OF THE WEEK ... Bacall and Bogart

This has nothing to do with wilderness, mountains, skiing, running, or
Alpinism, but it is one of my favorite old classic movies, and Bacall
did pass away this week.

As David Brooks wrote in his New York Times column (not to be missed)
... The verbal dueling becomes a way of testing each other's composure
and finally turns into pure come-on, which, of course, she leads. The
most famous exchange in the movie is allegedly about horse racing:

Bacall: "Speaking of horses, I like to play them myself. But I like to
see them work out a little first. See if they're front-runners or
come-from-behind. ... I'd say you don't like to be rated. You like to
get out in front, open up a lead, take a little breather in the back
stretch and then come home free."

Bogart: "You've got a touch of class, but I don't know how far you can go."

Bacall: "A lot depends on who's in the saddle."