Friday, August 8, 2014

Running to Barr Camp on Pike's Peak

Well it wasn't the outing that I was hoping for but it was a lot of
fun anyway. I hoped to squeeze a run to the summit in today, take the
cog railway down, and hopefully squeeze in a quick shower before my
dinner meeting.

Well with travel SNAFUS I got to bed at 2:30 am, and even with a 4:45
am wake up call I didn't put the pack on until 7:45. What was wrong
with this scenario: 1) I was tired. 2) The thunderstorms were
predicted shortly after noon. 3) At 12-15 pounds my pack was too
heavy. 4) True I had some residual acclimatization from Peru, but a
14er on day one! 5) I wasn't sure I would get to the summit in time to
catch the train, without that I miss my dinner meeting.

And so I bailed and "just ran" to the halfway point - Barr Camp - and
back. A good workout with 21k, 3,500', and 3:45 minutes of exercise.
(Oh, and I hit the time goals, so I suspect if I do the race next year
I will make the cutoffs.)